Ahhh… Valentine’s Day! It’s was a loving, cuddle-filled day but with cuddles comes the possibility of spreading head lice. The most common way head lice are spread is through head-to-head contact. Lice Clinics of America has some tips for reducing the risk of cross-infestation so you can hug away!
“When parents are confronted with head lice, they often react in a panic—we see it every day,” said Lisa Liss, manager of Lice Clinics of America treatment centers in Encino, Santa Clarita and Los Angeles. “They don’t know what to do, primarily because people don’t talk about head lice. Then they panic.”
What can you do to prepare for head lice? Here are Liss’ tips for helping to prevent an infestation:
- Use lice prevention products. New products are available in the form of sprays, rinses, and shampoos that serve as lice repellent. Lice Clinics of America offers a complete line of non-toxic products to keep the bugs away.
- Get professional screening. Head lice are notoriously tricky to diagnose. Children can be symptom-free for weeks before the signature scratching begins, at which point they may have already shared lice with friends and family. Lice Clinics of America offers screenings for a modest fee that is waived if lice are found and treatment is purchased.
- Know what works and what doesn’t. Traditional lice products are increasingly ineffective because lice have become resistant to the pesticides they use. A 2016 study published in the Journal of Medical Entomology found that 98 percent of head lice carry a genetic resistance to pyrethroids, the class of pesticides used in the most popular lice shampoos. Don’t waste money and time on pesticide-based products. Lice Clinics of America’s AirAllé®medical device has been clinically shown to kill live lice and more than 99 percent of eggs (nits) using carefully controlled heated air to dehydrate lice and eggs. The entire treatment takes about an hour and is guaranteed to be effective.
- Stock your home with lice supplies. It’s common to detect head lice at night, such as bath time, when stores may be closed. Lice Clinics of America professional strength products are highly effective yet pesticide-free!
- Talk to your friends about head lice. Silence is a significant contributor to head lice outbreaks. If your child comes home with head lice, is treated, and sent them back to school or day care, odds are they will get lice again if other parents aren’t alerted, and their children aren’t checked. No one likes to talk about head lice, but you really should. No one is to blame—lice afflict all social and economic groups.
“Families don’t have to struggle with head lice any longer,” says Liss. “For parents that have tried and failed to treat an infestation on their own, our professional technicians can end your lice nightmare with the fastest, safest, most effective treatment on the market.”
With over 300 clinics in 35 countries, Lice Clinics of America is the world’s largest network of professional lice treatment centers. Los Angeles-area centers are located in Encino, Santa Clarita and West LA. Call 844-727-9792 or visit www.LiceClinicsLosAngeles.com for more information or to schedule an appointment.